UK offers six different types of tourist & short stay visit visas that includes;
- Marriage Visitor visa
- Parent of a Tier 4 child visa
- Permitted Paid Engagement visa
- Short-term study visa
- Standard Visitor visa
- Visit the UK in a Chinese tour group
General Application Procedure
Applicants are required to have their fingerprints and photographs (as bio-metric information) taken at designated visa application centre. To qualify for short stay visitor visas, following documents must be provided.
- Valid passport or other travel identification document
- Medical tests such as tuberculosis (TB) test results, if required
- Proof that applicant can support himself during trip, e.g. pay slips or bank statement for previous 6 months
- Particulars of where applicant expect to stay and other travel plans. Applicant must not pay for accommodation or travel until one gets visa
#1- Marriage Visitor visa
Applicants must apply for Marriage Visitor Visa if they want to get married or register for a civil partnership in UK, want to give notice of marriage or civil partnership in UK and are not planning to stay or settle in UK after their marriage or civil partnership. This visa cannot be extended and work is not allowed- except for permitted activities related to work, e.g. to attend meetings.
1.1 Eligibility Criteria
To qualify for Marriage Visitor visa, following requirements must be met.
- Applicant must be 18 or over;
- Applicant must be in a genuine relationship;
- Applicant must intend to visit UK for less than 6 months.
- Applicant must be able to meet cost of return or onward journey.
1.2 Additional Documents
Applicant’s future plans as proof for relationship, e.g. documents as proof of residence.
1.3 Stay Duration & Timelines to get visa
Stay duration is up to 6 months.
1.4 Fee Structure
Visa cost is £87
#2- Parent of Tier 4 Child Visa
Parent of Tier 4 Child Visa is for those parents who want to accompany their child to UK. It provides them with the opportunity to look after their child while they study at UK school. To apply, child must be less than 12 years of age and attends or about to start study at an independent fee paying day school in UK. Applicants are not allowed to settle permanently , study or work during their stay.
To be eligible applicant must:
- have sufficient amount of funds for himself and any dependants while in UK
- have primary house outside UK
- have enough money to return or onward journey
Visa cost is £405 while extension may cost up to £811.
2.3 Timelines for Stay in UK
Validity of visa is either 6 or 12 months. Subsequently, extensions for 12 months can be availed until applicant’s child reaches 12. Extension should be applied at least 4 weeks before original visa expires.
#3- Permitted Paid Engagement visa
UK-based organization or client can invite to:
- Be a student appraiser or part in selection panel as highly qualified academic
- Give lectures at higher education institution
- Scrutinize UK-based pilots
- Provide advocacy in particular area of law or to take part in fashion, entertainment or sports activities
3.1 Eligibility Criteria
Individual who wish to apply, has to prove that he:
- Is 18 or above
- Shall visit UK for 1 month only
- Has enough money to support himself and can pay for return journey
3.2 Additional documents
Applicant has to provide following additional documents
- Formal invitation from UK-based organization which shall pay applicant
- Detail of travel plans and where applicant plan to stay.
- Proof that paid engagement relates to applicant’s qualifications and expertise e.g. letter from employer
If applicant is an established arts, entertainment or sports professional, shall provide extra documents as listed below:
- Publications or publicity material
- Proof of media coverage and reviews
- Proof of recent performances and awards
Visa costs £87
3.4 Timelines for Stay in UK
You can stay in UK for up to 1 month.
#4- Short-term study visa
This type of visa allows applicant for a short course of study or training or research as part of degree course in UK. Extension is not allowed.
Proof that applicant:
- Is offered a course in UK at an accepted place of study
- If applicant is under 18, must have arrangement for travel & stay and have permission from parents or guardian to study in UK
4.2 Timelines for Stay in UK
6 months stay – for any short course or short period research if applicant is 18 or above
11 months stay – if applicant is18 or above and taking an English language course
£89 for 6 months & £170 for 11 month visa
4.4 Additional documents
Applicant also need to provide contact details and written consent of parents or guardian (if under 18) & original documents.
Applicant will provide proof of course which is offered to study, e.g. a letter of acceptance from educational institution in UK and financial sponsor’s occupation, income, savings or funds that will support applicant’s studies
#5- Standard Visitor visa
Applicant require Standard Visitor visa when to visit UK:
- for leisure, e.g. on holiday or to see his family & friends
- for business like for conference, meeting or training or to take part in sports or creative events
- to get some private medical treatment
- as a doctor on some observer post or for a clinical attachments as allowed by Visitor Rules
5.1 Timelines for Stay in UK
Applicant can stay 6 months usually & 11-12 months – if coming for medical treatment or for research (applicant have to apply for biometric residence permit)
If applicant prove that UK visit is needed regularly over a longer period, visa can be applied that lasts 2, 5 or 10 years. After that, extensions for long term visit visa can be availed.
Visa costs £87
Fee for long-term visit visa:
- 2 years – £330
- 5 years – £600
- 10 years – £752
While extension may cost up to £811
5.3 Additional documents
In addition to general , applicant shall also provide following documents
- Proof for private medical treatment
- Proof as an academic on sabbatical
- Proof as prospective entrepreneur
Proof that going to take Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board (PLAB) test or sit in Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE).
#6- Visit the UK in Chinese tour group
Applicant can visit for up to 30 days as part of a tour group through Approved Destination Status agreement (ADS) if he is a Chinese citizen. Extension is not allowed.
To qualify applicant must enter the country as part of his tour group (minimum 5 people) and stay with the group. Such tour must be organized by an ADS licensed Chinese tour operator.
Fill ADS visitor application form online.
Applicant shall provide agent his current travel documents or passport, previous passports or travel documents, evidence of current employment or studies
Then applicant’s agent shall arrange an appointment for whole tour group at visa approval center in China including taking your bio-metric information. It will generally happen at least 3 weeks before departure. Whole group shall pay visa fee directly to your travel agent.